Our fantastic professors act as mentors for our students and serve a number of roles:
- Encourage student participation in all phases of film production with professors, including writing, directing and producing.
- Co-author articles and papers with students (over 100 papers presented at national or international professional conferences).
- Motivate students to participate in interdisciplinary opportunities such as the health communication concentration or the public health minor.
- Advise students on a wide range of co-curricular and classroom activities, including outreach commitments to groups in the community, state, nation, and across the world.
- Actively promote student work in internships and advise students about job and graduate school opportunities.
In addition to serving as mentors, our internationally-recognized faculty also pursue other interests. Highlights include:
- Conducted research in the United Kingdom (England, Ireland), Colombia, Argentina, and India)
- Published in the most prestigious journals in communication studies
- Earned scholarships/ fellowships (National Endowment for the Humanities, Social Science Research Council, National Cancer Institute, United Nations Foundation and The Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES, or the Fulbright Scholar award).
- Produced or directed films/ documentaries for Public Broadcasting Channel (PBS), Disney Channel, NBC, Turner Classic Movies, Lifetime cable channel
- Presented films/ documentaries at film festivals– New Orleans, Women in the Director’s Chair, Mill Valley (CA), Athens (OH), Montreal International Human Rights Film Festival, Whitney Humanities Center at Yale.