Click here to set up a campus visit, chat with faculty and current students and sit in on a sample COM class.
The Communication Studies department is nationally recognized for its undergraduate achievements and our students have done fantastic things, both while at TCNJ and after.
Here are just a few of our many accomplishments:
- National record for winning student papers — Most annual Stephen A. Smith awards for best co-authored communication studies papers (five out of ten in the 2000-2009 period at the National Communication Association)
- National record for number of nationally elected officials of Lambda Pi Eta – More TCNJ students elected annual president of the national communication honor society than any other institution (nine presidents, six vice presidents, and two secretaries in last fifteen years)
- Lambda Pi Eta awarded the “chapter of the year” for extraordinary achievement.
- Film projects recognized at a number of festivals — including the Rehoboth Film Festival, the Newburyport Film Festival, the Garden State Film Festival, the Trenton Film Festival and the Princeton Environmental Film Festival
- Community outreach — Projects have supported environmental efforts, underprivileged young mothers, and third world entrepreneurs.
Our students have gone on to study a wide array of subjects at some of the most celebrated graduate institutions in the nation, including:
- Advertising: Texas, Boston U.
- Film and Television Production: University of Southern California (USC), American Film Institute, Boston University
- Health Communication: University of Pennsylvania (the Annenberg School), Penn State, Ohio State, Kentucky, George Mason, Rutgers, Emerson
- Interpersonal/Organizational Communication: Penn State, Howard, Rutgers, Delaware
- Law: Columbia, New York University, University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, American University
- Non-Profit Administration: Syracuse (Maxwell School), Carnegie-Mellon
- Public Affairs/Public Administration: Syracuse (the Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs), George Washington, Georgia, Denver, University of California/San Diego
- Public Health: Johns Hopkins, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Social Work: Columbia University, University of Pennsylvania
- Strategic/Risk Communication and Public Relations: Maryland, Syracuse (Newhouse School), George Mason, Emerson
Our students have also gone on to pursue exciting careers at a number of different companies, including but certainly not limited to:
- Mass Media/Social Media (previously Public/Mass) and Interpersonal/Strategic (previously Interpersonal/Organizational) majors have found employment at some of the nation’s leading corporations and organizations such as Johnson & Johnson, Burson-Marsteller, and Pew Charitable Trusts, as well as in public affairs, public relations, and public health, in particular at the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Digital Filmmaking & TV (previously Radio/TV/Film) majors have gone on to work at CBS, NBC, ABC, John Wells Productions (E.R.), MTV, NJN, IFC Films, Cinemax, CareerTV (Time Warner Cable), and many other smaller independent film and video production companies.