The Department of Communication studies does accept changes of majors (sometimes called “internal transfers”) into the program. In order to change your major to Communication Studies, you will have to fill out an application. The application is thorough, but not difficult. The quality of your application will determine whether or not you are accepted into the major.
**During the remainder of the current health crisis, all forms to be submitted in PDF format.
Paper forms will not be accepted. Rev. 3/26/2020
The Application Process
1. Retrieve the application packet from the Department office in Kendall 235 or visit the Forms page to acquire all forms.
2. Read carefully and complete the application in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. The application form thoroughly details the entire application process.
3. Return the completed application to the Department office. Only physical applications will be accepted, electronic submissions will not.
Applications are due before October 1st in the Fall semester, and March 1st in the Spring semester.
If you do not submit an application before the deadline, you will have to wait until the next semester. These deadlines exist to make sure new majors are accepted and advised before registration.
Decisions on applications are determined by the chair and by the Department. Decisions will be made each semester approximately two weeks before the registration window. Do not contact the Department about the status of your application.
The Department will contact you about the status of your application via TCNJ email.
- If your application is accepted, your program planner will be available in the Department of Communication Studies Office for you to retrieve and use for all academic advising sessions. It will serve as an advising tool for you and your advisor.
- Your Change of Major form will be sent to the Office of Records & Registration in Green Hall 112.
- It may then take a few days after the form is received for your change of major to appear on PAWS and an academic advisor in our department will be assigned for you.
If your application is rejected, the Department will still notify you. From there, you may need to make changes to the application and resubmit it, wait until next semester, or consider other academic programs.
Please be aware that the application process is highly competitive. Your application may or may not be accepted for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to): the number of applicants, the number of available seats in COM classes, the quality of your application, or the timeliness of your application.