The Department of Communication studies does accept changes of majors (sometimes called “internal transfers”) into the program. In order to change your major to Communication Studies, you will have to fill out an application. The application is thorough, but not difficult. The quality of your application will determine whether or not you are accepted into the major.
Please submit all forms online, in PDF format.
The Application Process
1. Retrieve the application packet by visiting our the Forms page.
2. Read carefully and complete the application in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. The application form thoroughly details the entire application process.
3. Upload your completed application in PDF file format to the COM Forms.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Decisions on applications are determined by the chair and by the Department. Decisions will be made each semester approximately two weeks before the registration window. Do not contact the Department about the status of your application.
The Department will contact you about the status of your application via TCNJ email.
- Keep a copy of your Program Planner up to date for use with each advising appointment.
- Your Change of Major form will be sent to the Office of Records & Registration in Green Hall 112.
- It may then take a few days after the form is received for your change of major to appear on PAWS and an academic advisor in our department will be assigned for you.
If your application is rejected, the Department will still notify you. From there, you may need to make changes to the application and resubmit it, wait until next semester, or consider other academic programs.
Please be aware that the application process is highly competitive. Your application may or may not be accepted for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to): the number of applicants, the number of available seats in COM classes, the quality of your application, or the timeliness of your application.