To arrange an independent study:
- See if you qualify by consulting the Independent Study Policy
- Check your course unit load for the semester. Determine if a Request to Overload Form is needed.
- Find a faculty advisor who will sponsor your independent study.
- Complete an Independent Study Contract
- Get all the required signatures and submit it to the Communication Studies Department Office (Kendall Hall Room 235).
If you have any questions, contact your faculty advisor or the Program Assistant.
The Independent Study Proposal
The student will prepare a written proposal containing the following information:
(1) A detailed description of the project
(2) The amount of time devoted to each major aspect of the project
(3) A description of prior course work or other experience which prepares the student for
the proposed activity
(4) The frequency and duration of meetings with the faculty sponsor
(5) Dates for completion of project milestones where applicable
The methods by which the student’s work will be evaluated must be clearly stated in the proposal. Some appropriate forms of evaluation include a paper, a performance, and/or a presentation.
To determine the number of credits, the guideline of a minimum of 12 hours of effort per week per course unit shall apply.