FAQs for Pre-Registration
When can you Pre-Register? Currently, pre-registration is closed. Look for it to reopen closer to the end of March, 2020.
- What is pre-registration?
Pre-registration is a period of time that begins about one week prior to registration, when students majoring or minoring in Communication Studies and Public Health select courses before they become available to students campus-wide.
- How does pre-registration work?
Students must come to the main office in Kendall Hall 235 in person and select up to two COM courses. Students sign up with Office Assistants at the Pre-Registration Station. (Public Health Majors/Minors, please contact your Program Assistant directly for instructions.)
- What do I need to have ready for pre-registration?
- Bring a choice of three COM classes with you. (In case you can’t get one of your first choices.)
- Course Number
- Course Name
- Section Number
- Course Instructor, optional.
- Your PAWS ID
- How many COM courses can I pre-register for?
You can pre-register for up to two COM courses. If you want to take more than two COM courses, you will have to wait until registration starts for you in PAWS. You will select those courses by yourself in PAWS if there are seats available.
- Why do all the COM courses look closed or already fully enrolled in PAWS? Can I still pre-register for them?
During the pre-registration week only, the majority of seats are reserved for you; that’s why courses appear closed or fully enrolled in PAWS. This is done so other students cannot register in PAWS by themselves. Once pre-registration ends and all of our students are enrolled, the remaining available seats will be open in PAWS for anyone who wishes to enroll in COM classes.
- If a course fills up during pre-registration, can I be placed on a wait list?
The wait list for each course is kept in the pre-registration Google Sheet only during pre-registration. If you don’t get into the course you are waitlisted for during pre-registration, it is your responsibility to monitor PAWS in case a seat opens up. No waitlists are kept once pre-registration ends. Contact the instructor directly to add into a closed course.
- How do I register for courses other than COM courses (e.g., liberal learning, language, …)?
You are responsible to register for courses other than COM yourself. You will enroll in those courses in PAWS when your registration appointment window opens. To see your registration appointment date and time, check PAWS.
- I pre-registered on day one of pre-registration, why aren’t my courses showing in my schedule in PAWS immediately?
Your COM courses will show up in your schedule on PAWS by the first day that main campus-wide registration opens. Courses are entered manually once pre-registration ends.
- After pre-registration ends, the department’s Program Assistant enters all COM courses in PAWS for students, thus eliminating the need for students to enroll in courses in PAWS themselves. There is nothing else students need to do for these two COM courses.
- Can I change the selection of my COM courses during pre-registration?
Yes, during pre-registration you can come back to the office and change your selections if there are seats available. Once pre-registration ends, you can swap/drop classes in PAWS by yourself until the end of the add/drop period.
- When should I see my advisor?
You should see your advisor before pre-registration to go over your requirements and discuss your schedule so you know what courses to pre-register and register for.
- I have holds on my account, can I still pre-register?
If you have holds on your account, you must resolve them immediately. If a hold is still on your account on the last day of pre-registration, we won’t be able to enroll you in courses you pre-registered for and this will cause you to lose your seat in those classes.
- I am studying abroad and can’t come to the office to pre-register in person. What should I do?
If you are abroad during pre-registration, email the Program Assistant on the first day of pre-registration with your two preferred COM courses. Include the full course number and section. The Program Assistant will record them for you in the pre-registration Google Sheet. Simply requesting your courses does not guarantee that those seats are available. Your seats will be confirmed via email.
- Public Health Majors and Minors are eligible for pre-registration. Contact your Program Assistant for details.